Mzungu in Kasungu

Mzungu in Kasungu
Daniella in Kasungu

Thursday 4 March 2010

A bus adventure

The other day I had to get my visitor’s visa extended in Lilongwe. I managed to get a lift there with a MicroLoan Foundation vehicle that was heading that way for meetings, and the actual visa extension process was very painless. However, heading back would be on public transport, and that’s always a slightly more drawn-out and random undertaking. You never know what you’re going to get!

Arriving at the bus station, I found it bustling as usual with travellers and vendors with all manner of goods on offer. Pretty much anything you want you can buy through the window of a bus – shoes, jeans, gift bags, drinks, maize cobs, sweets…the list goes on! I worked my way through the crowd and identified a big bus that was heading to Kasungu. Quick tips if you’re ever using African buses: 1. always get on the fullest bus possible because they wait until they’re rammed before departing. If you get on a nice empty looking one you’ll be waiting anything up to three hours for it to get suitably jam-packed; and 2. always ask where the bus is going rather than saying where you want to go. Inevitably if you ask ‘is this bus going to Kasungu?’ the answer will be ‘yes’ even if it’s going in the opposite direction!

Despite getting on the fullest bus I could find that was going the right way, I still had to wait two very hot hours before we set off. It wasn’t all bad though. At one point a chap in front of me turned around and said ‘hello Daniella, how are you?’. Turns out this was a guy I’d sat next to on a previous bus journey! I really am becoming part of the bus scene! The other unexpected event was a near uprising by the passengers who after many hours of waiting decided enough was enough. I’m used to waiting patiently and operating on African time, so was very pleasantly surprised at this civil revolt! And so we were off! After a 23 point turn to manoeuvre the bus out of position wedged between other buses, minibuses and a ticket hut that is…

No comments:

Post a Comment